Monday, June 26, 2017

Bridge to Terabithia


Hello!

My name is Jill Grifenhagen, and I am the instructor for Teaching Children's Literature at NC State's College of Education. I was born, raised, and educated in North Carolina, but I have taught elementary school all over the country. Three years ago I returned to NC as an Assistant Professor of Literacy Education at NC State. I love reading and discussing children's books!

One book that mattered to me as a child was Katherine Paterson's Bridge to Terabithia


I have probably read this book at least fifteen times over the years. The most memorable was the first time, when I was in third grade. Bridge to Terabithia was recommended to me by my teacher, and I read it independently. I loved the characters, particularly the strong, adventurous, bold Leslie. This book was so memorable because it was the first book to make me cry. At eight years old, I already loved reading, but I never knew I could fee l so strongly for the characters or be so moved by the events of the plot. Paterson dealt delicately and honestly with difficult topics, and I think this work is a model for using children's literature to build children's emotional intelligence and open up difficult conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment