Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Stellaluna

Hi! My name is Courtney Wagoner and I am a senior at NC State. I am taking this class to complete my English minor, and I am very excited because I have always had a passion for children's literature!

Growing up, a memorable book for me was Stellaluna. I remember I would always ask my mom to read it to me. I have a close relationship with my mom, so when I was little, we bonded over reading books together. I definitely have my mom to thank for beginning my love of reading.

I loved Stellaluna because I always loved when Stellaluna was reunited with her mother, and I also loved that along the way, she met new friends. Even though she went through the traumatic event of being separated from her mother, she made the bird family her new family. It is still a meaningful book to me because it reminds me that good can come from seemingly dark situations, and it is also a reminder that regardless of differences, we can all respect one another, learn from one another, and care for one another- and that we are more like each other than we may realize at first!

I began to read at a young age, and I have always really enjoyed reading. In elementary school, I enjoyed books so much that I stole a book from the reading station in Kindergarten, and I read it every night. I used to read books to my pets and to my stuffed animals, as well as to anyone who would listen. In middle school, I joined Battle of the Books and was exposed to many different books and read all of the time. I never went anywhere without a book. In high school, I started a book club so that I could share my passion for reading with others and discuss them. Now, I'm finishing up my English minor because I have enjoyed English classes at NC State so much!

This year, I celebrated my birthday by going to my favorite book store in the world (below)! It's a huge, well-organized book store that my family visits every time we are vacationing in Florida. A room full of books is my happy place. :)



1 comment:

  1. A great book to share with kids! I also love Pinduli (a lesser-known book by Cannon), because it has a great message about how you treat others.

    ReplyDelete