Thursday, August 25, 2016

Sammy Keyes

Hi!

I am Maryam, a former NCSU graduate back at NCSU to get my Master's in Elementary Education! I am really excited to take Dr. Griffenhagen's class this semester.

I grew up not enjoying reading by myself as much as I enjoyed reading to others. I would pretend read to my stuffed animals. I didn't really get into books (enjoy reading) until middle school. In 6th grade, I discovered the Sammy Keyes series, and I could not put those books down! All throughout my middle school years, I read Sammy Keyes books and then found another author: Joan Lowery Nixon. I found out I loved mystery novels! After finishing reading all Joan Lowery Nixon's books, I found another author, Lois Lowry, who wrote mysteries. I continued my mystery books' reading until high school when I stopped reading for fun. I didn't enjoy reading the required novels for my high school English classes, but in college, I, once again, fell in love with reading children's books for class! I absolutely LOVE reading children's picture books or young adult novels now! Excited to learn about more wonderful children's books this semester!

1 comment:

  1. Maryam, an interesting history with children's books that can teach us a lot about our students! Often children just need to find the right books to engage them in reading, including mysteries, series, etc. that we as teachers may not always think of as the "highest quality" children's lit. Of course, Keyes and Lowry are both great authors so it's no surprise they drew you in!

    ReplyDelete