Friday, August 26, 2016

A Family Book


Image result for berenstain bears booksImage result for dr seuss books


My name is Leslie Frink and I am a NCSU graduate getting my Master's in Elementary Education. I received my undergraduate degree at NC A&T State University. I am glad to be apart of this great program and your literacy class Dr. Griffenhagen.

 If I had to choose my favorite children book that would be hard because their isn't just one to pinpoint. The Dr.Suess and Berenstain Bear books were and are still my favorite books to read. The reason I chose these book is because in 2003 my house burn down to the ground, and these books were what I cried about they were in the house before I was born in 1991. They were my mother's book and I learned the most from these books and they helped me to begin my reading journey. From as early as I can remember my mom was in the army and she would work late nights or leave for duty but she picked up one of these books to read to my sister, brother and I before she left. She would call and make my daddy or older sister read to us before bed. We started reading to each other as me and my younger brother learned to read ourselves. I can always remember my mom referring to the Messy Room the Berenstain book when me and my brother tried to avoid cleaning it was always so funny. We would wake up to her reading Happy Birthday  To You by Dr. Suess the morning of our birthday. When my nephew was born we reordered the Dr. Suess series these were his first books to read, and then his siblings.  When we visit the local library I try to find as many Berenstein bears books for us to read as an auntie I use them to teach underlying messages :-). I always hope they can take away something like I did. I just want them to enjoy and have that wonderful experience like I had with reading. So I thank these authors because these books first came out between the 1930s (Dr. Suess) and 1960 (Berenstain 'books) and they will always have my heart. It started as a family book , but its now more than that to me. 


1 comment:

  1. What a personal account of the place children's books can hold in our hearts. Clearly these books are timeless--especially for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete