Thursday, November 3, 2016

Losing a Parent: Immigration or Incarceration


Students who have at least one parent in jail are the ones who suffer more in schools than students whose parents get a divorce or one passes away, according to this article on Education Week. In America, there continues to be an increase in the population of students who have a parent in jail. It is really important for us, teachers, to find ways we can include these students in the classroom and make them feel like they are not alone.

Over my short three years of teaching at a public elementary school, I had the privilege of teaching and getting to know students who lived with one parent/guardian, either because a parent was incarcerated (non-immigration issue) or the parent wasn’t a U.S.A citizen (deported or arrested). Most of the books I read to my students were books about immigration or an incarcerated parent. These read alouds led to discussions among my students about what immigration is, and the books also helped students, dealing with the ‘loss’ of a parent, share their own story. When students relate to a character in a story, they start to open up about their own experience, feeling okay about the situation.

I read Mama’s Nightingale to my 2nd graders last year, and my students and I loved the book. Some of my students hadn’t heard about immigration before, but some of the kids knew exactly what was going on in the story. Throughout the read aloud, students asked questions about the story and about immigration and arrests. My students gained a better understanding of the world just by listening to this one story.

The link below lists some books teachers can share with their classes, students who have a parent in jail, or just read for their own learning.


For students with parents dealing with immigration laws/arrests, teachers can do some immigration-related activities in their classroom. Scholastic offers great ideas that 3rd-5th grade teachers can do.

Below are some other children’s books I have read to my students (or by myself) and really enjoyed. Mama’s Nightingale and Two White Rabbits are on immigration issues. Visiting Day, Knock Knock, and Ruby on the Outside (chapter book-more for upper elementary or middle school age) are books about incarcerated parents and how children deal with that trauma.

I met Nora Raleigh Baskin, and she shared her story of how "Ruby on the Outside" came to be. It is a wonderful read for both students and adults.
   


For you, teachers, here's a website that can guide you in helping your students who have parents in jail.


Here’s an article that talks about understanding what happens to students whose parents are going through immigration:

1 comment:

  1. Maryam, this is amazing. I was leaning towards something of this degree, but I'm so glad I saw yours first. I don't think my analysis, post, and recommendations would come close. I will be utilizing a lot of what you have shared here, due to this being prevalent in my classroom in both aspects. Great job!

    ReplyDelete