Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Nancy Drew

Growing up, I was lucky enough to have a family that valued reading. My mom would take my siblings and me to the library weekly, and she read to us almost every night. I remember sitting in my brother's room, my sister and I huddled around my mom as she read The Boxcar Children series, adventure stories by Will Hobbs, and Nancy Drew mysteries in a soft, steady tone.

It wasn't until 5th grade though that I began to enjoy reading on my own. I broke my arm pretty badly at the beginning of the school year and ended up stuck in the hospital for a month recovering. My Aunt Karen visited me almost every day, always bringing me a new book or two. She would start to read a chapter or two and leave me with the books. Since I was in traction and couldn't leave the hospital bed, these books were a chance to go to another place.  I tore through each book she brought me, at first because there was really nothing better to do, but then because I loved them. I probably read fifty Nancy Drew books that year.

Ever since I've been a voracious reader and love sharing reading experiences with others. I want my students to see how books can be mirrors, windows, and doors. They teach us about ourselves and open our eyes to new and different perspectives.

Jill Zappia, 6th Grade Language Arts Teacher


1 comment:

  1. I also remember devouring Nancy Drew as a kid. Such a good role model for girls before many of those existed in children's lit!

    ReplyDelete