Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Little House Books / By: Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little House in the Big Woods was the first chapter book I read completely on my own. I remember where in my house I was sitting and I always recall this moment when asked "how I became a reader". I still have this book and in the front cover you can see that it is dated and signed with a sticker, obviously I was proud. I went on to reading every book in the series, watching the tv show and reenacting Mary and Laura's lives in my backyard. These books allowed me to imagine and dream in a different time period, in a world that I was completely in love with.

I haven't read these book in a number of years but it is still the first book(s) I recommend to young readers. I have been thrilled to see that many of Laura's books are still being read and used in the curriculum of public schools here in NC and in New York. Once I have a class of my own you can expect to find these books available in our library!

1 comment:

  1. Claire,

    The Little House on the Prairie books are timeless. Many kids still enjoy these and can relate to them, they just seem to have universal appeal. Have you seen the annotated autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder that was published last year? Read about it: http://www.npr.org/2015/01/28/382160369/little-house-big-demand-never-underestimate-laura-ingalls-wilder

    ReplyDelete